The Role of EMAC: EMAC is primarily an association of marketing academics of all types, whose geographic center of gravity is Europe.
Its goals are to:
- Advance the science of marketing
- Disseminate those advances through academic publications, teaching and practical applications.
External Relations at EMAC, overseen by the VP of External Relations, should serve EMAC members and the marketing discipline by:
- Extending EMAC's geographic boundaries to other regions through links with pan national general marketing associations (such as the AMA and ANZMAC)
- Establishing links with country-based organizations within the central scope of EMAC (such as the French Marketing Academy, UK Academy of Marketing, etc)
- Linking with more narrowly focused academic organizations (such as ISMS --Informs Society for Marketing Science, PDMA, AMS and ACR)
- Linking with organizations with a practitioner-focus (such as ESOMAR, EMC. MSI. and ISBM) where significant synergies may exist. Different roles might exist for national versus cross-national organizations
Those links and synergies could include, but are not limited, to joint meetings, joint publications, cross-marketing of products and the like.
EMAC should establish on-going links with organizations of type 1, where maximal synergies exist.
Links with organizations of types 2-4 should be either ad hoc (ie, on a specific, situational basis) or strategic, depending on the degree of mutual interest and benefit in an on-going relationship.
On-Going Ties: Where an ongoing relationship will serve the needs of both EMAC and the associated organization, the EMAC VP of Global Relations will either formally act personally as a liaison or appoint such a liaison, with the advise and consent of the EMAC Executive Committee. The role of the liaison is to oversee and report on activities and initiatives of mutual interest to the two organizations.
Tactical Ties: Where a relationship is likely to be more transient, the VP Global Relations will deal with the relationship directly in an ad hoc manner.
The EMAC VP Global Relations will coordinate and report on the activities of the various liaisons at each EMAC Board meeting. The EMAC secretariat will send notices to the liaisons to send appropriate updates/reports to the VP External Relations.